Friday, August 14, 2009

Proverbs 30:5-9

"Every word of God is flawless;
he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.
Do not add to his words,
or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Two things I ask of you, O Lord;
do not refuse me before I die;
Keep flasehood and lies far from me.
Give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the Lord?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God."

Give me enough for the day

How wise the thoughts of this man Agur.
Having too much money can be dangerous,
but so can having too little.

Being poor can, in fact, be hazardous to spiritual as well as physical health. On the other hand, being rich is not the answer. As Jesus pointed out, rich people have trouble getting into God's kingdom. Like Paul, we can learn how to live whether we have little or plenty, but our lives are more likely to be effective if we have neither poverty nor riches, just enough for the day!

No comments: