Wednesday, October 21, 2009

1 Corinthians 16:1-24

"Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made. Then, when I arrive, I will give letters of introduction to the men you approve and send them with your gift to Jerusalem.

Be on guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.

I, Paul write this greeting in my own hand.
If anyone does not love the Lord - a curse be on him. come, O Lord!

The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you.
My love to all of you in Christ Jesus. Amen"

Summary
according to my commentary
The church at Corinth was a church in trouble. Paul lovingly and forcefully confronted their problems and pointed them back to Christ. He dealt with divisions and conflicts, selfishness, inconsiderate use of freedom, disorder in worship, misuse of spiritual gifts, and wrong attitudes about the resurrection.

In every church, there are enough problems to create tensions and divisions. We should not ignore or gloss over problems in our churches or in our lives. Instead, like Paul, we should deal with problems head on as they arise. The lesson for us in Corinthians is that unity and love in a church are far more important than leaders and labels.

No comments: