Thursday, September 2, 2010

Romans 1:8-15

Paul's Longing to Visit Rome
8First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world. 9God, whom I serve with my whole heart in preaching the gospel of his Son, is my witness how constantly I remember you 10in my prayers at all times; and I pray that now at last by God's will the way may be opened for me to come to you.

11I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong— 12that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith. 13I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

14I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. 15That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are at Rome.


I Thank God

through Jesus Christ


v.8 This phrase emphasizes the point that Christ is the one and only mediator between God and humans. Through Christ, God sends his love and forgiveness to us; through Christ, we send our thanks to God.

v.9 Paul prayed to visit Rome so he could teach the Christians there. When he finally arrived in Rome, it was as a prisoner. He also prayed for a safe trip, and he did arrive safely, after getting arrested, slapped in the face, shipwrecked and bitten by a poisonous snake. Great example of how God does answer our prayers in His time in His way.

v.11 Mutual encouragement is important to all Christians as we live in the world, and not of the world. When Christians gather, everyone should give and receive. Or mutual faith gives us a common purpose in life.

v.14 Paul felt it his obligation to proclaim Christ's salvation to all people -both Jews and gentiles, across all cultural, social, racial, and economic lines. Christ died for ALL mankind, and it was Paul's mission to communicate the message where ever the spirit lead him.

No comments: